My attempt at a matchup guide.

Its all about USF4 now
User avatar
Zombiebrian
Posts: 6948
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:35 pm
Overseer Code: GOD
Location: Dundee, Scotland
Contact:

My attempt at a matchup guide.

Postby Zombiebrian » Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:21 pm

This is what I do vs each character in the game. This will take some time to do but if you like the Idea of doing it for your character feel free if catalyst likes anything he might take it for the guides it could help him.

Abel - Abel is my second main so I have some idea where his streanths and weaknesses are. Try not to throw to many Kikoukens out there he can go over with ex wheel kick under with his roll and through with an ex turn of direction not to mention his ultra bibasses the whole affair. Most of Abels combos start off close so try to keep him at sweep distance. He has a good cross up in his :kick-medium: which leads into his :kick-medium: into change of direction or his :joystick-down: :punch-hard: into ultra so you'll want to be sharp with your cross up defense. chuns :joystick-up: :kick-hard: (natural jump) can be very usefull in this match as it can keep abel at a distance and beats lots of his attacks. His roll which people are using alot online isnt as safe as it would seem he can be thrown out of it or the :joystick-up: :kick-hard: beats the crap out of it. Try not to jump in as his :joystick-down: :kick-medium: is a decent anti air.

Akuma - Patience is required to go over under duck his fireballs but Akuma is well known to have a soft underbelly once you do get in. try to go over his air-fire balls when in midrange and attack with your best hp-hp combo. Remember the hasanshu is good for those pesky redfireballs but dont abuse it or you will eat demons unless you fadc it even then you'll be lucky to outrun the demon. If he is doing airfireballs in a corner its a good way of ultra-ing him. If they knock you down and look like throwing out a red fb to win the match (happens often) have your ultra ready. His demon flip kick cant be ex sbk'ed nor any other anti ait but try fa dc :joystick-left: then :punch-hard: or :kick-hard: his jumping hard kick can be anti-aired with a walking back hp.

Balrog - Good match for chun this, alot of rogs are overreliant on the jab and the crouch keep as much distance between you and him and be ready with a :joystick-up: :kick-hard: for the odd dash punch or ex Kikouken. when you have a knockdown you can abuse chuns auto cross up as rog doesn't have much of a deference for it dont be slow with it though your one headbut away from an ultra. also cross ups work well against him. Most rogs like to crouch and hold a charge so the odd hasanshu can cause damage cross him up well and often he seems weak against it. do not try to go toe to toe with him his jabs into ultra isnt hard. Try not to zone with Kikouken as the turn punch goes around and the ultra can go through.

Blanka - More than most Blanka is a learned match lots of his moves that seem safe arent his balls can be jabbed out with lp which you can combo into :kick-light: :kick-light: ex lightning legs or throw sometimes as they might be caught out by the jab giving you time to throw them. Dont try to Fireball him he'll only ex ball or slide under. FA is a good way of beating his slide. Dont cross him up on wake up or try and jump in he'll only use the electricity on you. if hes gonna use it or is jab him out of it he'll soon give that up. Remember you can also ultra him if hes spamming elect or just fireball him. He is a charge char so if you quick hasanshu can be effective. This is a dull match to play, having to be ultra defensive but if you go in over aggressive they will can and shall get the better of you. Beware of being to close to a charging blanka his ultra turnes into a command throw if to close be very aware in the corner get out of it asap if he does ultra you and you far enough away jump towards him you'll go over if you try a neutral jump he can delay the ball. His balls can be punished by ultra on block if timed right you can even get he full ultra in on it.

Cammy - Good match this and similar to blanka you need to play quite defensive with lots of jab punishes but be aware not to over do it with the jabs as her cannon strike will follow (which if you block can also be punished) punish he hoolagian with a crouching jab. If you have an ultra her Cannon strike can be punished with it or a :joystick-down: :kick-hard: If she gets jump happy choose chuns air throw or a :joystick-up: :kick-hard:

Chun Li - Mirror matches she had all your weaknesses to exploit them her anti air sucks to jumpins beware of charged ex sbk and abuse hasanshu. This is where a good :joystick-up-right: :punch-hard: :punch-hard: into a good combo will serve you well. Auto cross up beats EX SBK as does the occasional regular cross up.

Crimson Viper - Crimson is an ok fight for Chun :joystick-up: :kick-hard: causes her problems especially with her burning kick beware abusing it though as her hp thunder knuckle can hit you twice and will. stay grounded if she has a super as jump ins can lead to it. Vipers (ive played) tend to spend all day trying to get specials to hit so jab em and be ready for the burning kick :joystick-down: :kick-light: into ex legs works a treat and her burning can be delt with by either blocking punish or ex sbk. Her FA has some good range be aware. vipers tend to be very attack minded so adopting a counter attacking style will help.

Dan - Dont underestimate him he isnt as bad as they all make out. Ignore his taunts and play a clever game try keeping out of sweep range and :joystick-up: :kick-hard: unless he has an ultra in which case jabs are the way to go be wary of jumping in on him as his srk can hurt his lk Dankukyaku can knock you out many moves cross you up and change his landing zone. While the ex version knocks the crap out of you. His FA has good range so be carefull although you should win this match with a good offence and good air defence try to block more than anti air him.

Dahlsim - Get on top stay on top he wont let you in easily. a good trick is to wait on a fireball being thrown he wi'll then probobly try a teleport :joystick-up: :kick-hard: hurts em if you can predict it. his throw comes out quick and puts distance between you so be careful not to stand to close when on top. His limbs can be hit by your fireball be wary of holding a down charge as this is hit commonly with his air stretchy arms. Stand tall when he's in the air and be prepared to counterblock if he teleports. Do not rely on her ex sbk in this match. Apply pressure with her hasanshu and :joystick-up: :kick-hard:, and her pokes. mp into hasanshu works well. get him near a corner try and combo into an ultra.

E.Honda - fought 2 of em total about 50% win rate rare match this but in the sparring sessions with Object ops I know his headbuts are easy dealt with at full screen but are dynamite as anti air. another charger he is susceptible to the hasanshu if he hasn't had enough time to build up a charge. im told her :joystick-up-right: :kick-medium: stuffs the headbut but ive never tried it. be wake up aware of his orochi it's real dangerous.

ELF - Nightmare for chun the exsbk is fairley useless in this match, best bet is to try and get out of dodge, fadc and low jabs can get you out of some of his tricks the odd jump away or ex hasanshu sometimes gets you out of the jam. Out side of the wake up game zone when he has no ex and use her pokes keep mobile but he does have some good anti air attacks.

Fie long - dont use fire balls. Stay grounded and avoid getting cornered. low attacks can be your friend in this match *** havent played this match enough to give more info.

Gen - Watch the cross ups, I like to keep him at a distance and punish jump ins with em :joystick-up: :kick-hard: is a great option for beating away attacks but try not to overuse it when your opponent has and ultra. Avoid using your fireball he has moves to counterattack it. Avoid crouching to charge too often.

Gouken - Avoid jumping you'll eat lots of fireballs close in empty jumps and throws can be handy ways to get a free throw from guys hoping to use the counter attack. Be ready to tech everything when he has an ultra as they will go for it, tbh be ready to tech at all times cause the throws are a knightmare



Guile - Turtle guile to be precise is an insanely difficult match to go through most guiles with walk back s boom and either follow it in and air throw you. Let them back themselves into a corner and use eith a nutral jump hk or an airthrow on em well times hasanshus can be handy in this match also if your good at timing the :joystick-down: mp that goes under the sb its can be handy dont try using your fb it doesnt work and dont jump in too much if he in the :joystick-down: stance you'll only eat flash kicks.




Zangief - A match that must be learned character specific, keeping geif at a distance is the key to this match he only needs to get close 3 or 4 times and your in major trouble. Luckily Chun has some great attacks that help with this :kick-hard: and
:punch-hard: especially the hk has a huge amount of range in it and if he jumps in from too far is a terrifying anti air for the big guy. Mix it up with kikodens but dont use em all the time the green glove will hurt you. If you think a green glove is on its way :joystick-up: :kick-hard: into a combo nullifies it. You will most likely see gief try and get in from underneath when he starts this a ex hasanshu is a good way to put them off this idea. When he starts gaining ground try and ex sbk or attempt a risky auto cross up do not get corner trapped if you can help it. Lariats hk is golden in this match as it can go through a lariat if well timed. if he's doing it from far jump in with your best hp combo as the hp command combo beats the start up frames. Regardless of this guide he is not a good match for chun just go out with the idea to make him work for it do not let them in "you shall not pass" attitude but if you get beat nothing ventured...
Angry old survivor from 2009 eventhubs :evil:

User avatar
seanomega
Posts: 732
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:44 pm

Re: My attempt at a matchup guide.

Postby seanomega » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:08 pm

Keep it comin'
"I will not fight on PSN. I will not bout on XBL. I'm in the country, don't you see? No SF online for me."
Image

User avatar
maniacman
Posts: 962
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:12 pm
Xbox Gamertag: maniacalmaniac8
Contact:

Re: My attempt at a matchup guide.

Postby maniacman » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:27 am

Some good things with a Bison vs. Akuma matchup...
if he is doing jump back fireball, and your close to him when he jumps, slide (c. :kick-hard: )ride under neath the fireball and either catch him with ur foot, throw if he lands by the time the slide is done, s. :kick-hard: (if you finish the slide and hes still in the air, but too low to catch with J. :punch-medium: , this is a solid damage dealer), :punch-hard: psycho crusher, theres really a ton of options, if you get under the air fireball that is. another thing, if your too far to slider under, but have the range, throw ex scissors, you blow through the fireball and nail akuma hard. wathc the footsies! they end up taking a lot of power down if your caught by too many, it happens to me quite a lot, but ex scissors is ur best friend, it goes through damn near everything, and can catch oppenents thinking theyre doing a safe attack. also, if akuma throws a fireball from across the screen and follows it, throw a ex scissors, catches him thinking he was the one doing the pressuring. Theres so many mixup options against akuma, as long as your doing something different you can keep him on his toes

Against balrog, theres a few good things ive learned...
if balrog is at full screen distance to you, and he throws a :punch-hard: dash straight, c :kick-hard: slide will nail him out of it before he gets the chance to hit you. if the oppenent expects to do a reversal buffalo headbutt on wake up, block it and throw c. :kick-light: :joystick-right: :kick-medium: scissors. if he throws ex dash straight, ex scissors is gonna smash him out of it

a great strategy in general with bison, when using the ex psycho crusher, if the oppenent blocks it, some people dont know hte recovery speed on it, and you can catch some people with a throw immediately after your done, and that will put the other guy on his toes. it can be good in some wake up situations, some times catching jumping attacks, and because it hits twice and flies so fast, can knock a person FA charging onto their butts
dont rely on the head stomp, its so very easy to be nailed out of the air with it, or dashed away from, ive made plenty of mistakes hoping even ex HS would get me out of a tight wake up situation, but i ended up missing and the penalty was a K.O. splashing across the screen. i would say that ex HS is great for catching a jumping oppenent, or against a shoryuken. the ex Devils reverse is great, even if you dont end up doing damage, saving your life is a good trade off, plus hte regular is great for fakeouts, fakeouts galore
hope i dont suond like a total noob or anything, and i hope this is helpful for somebody, anybody... :D also i hope that none of this information is redundant for anybody... :)

User avatar
Saraphan80
Posts: 2711
Joined: Fri May 29, 2009 8:31 am
Xbox Gamertag: Saraphan80
Location: Wisconsin, USA

Re: My attempt at a matchup guide.

Postby Saraphan80 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:09 am

maniacman wrote:hope i dont suond like a total noob or anything, and i hope this is helpful for somebody, anybody... :D also i hope that none of this information is redundant for anybody... :)


The best thing about this site is that even if that were true (it's not), nobody here is gonna be a prick about it. :D
Everyone's contributions are valued & treated with respect (well, except the crap I post, but I deserve it :lol: ).
ImageImage......Image

User avatar
catalyst_nc
Site Admin
Posts: 598
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:23 pm
Contact:

Re: My attempt at a matchup guide.

Postby catalyst_nc » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:55 pm

Keep these coming guys. I've got this thread bookmarked and I'll be revisiting it/adding stuff into the guides from it.

Good work.

User avatar
seanomega
Posts: 732
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:44 pm

Re: My attempt at a matchup guide.

Postby seanomega » Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:40 pm

I'm pulling a saraphan here.

Ryu vs. E. Honda

If you are E. Honda you shouldn't dash toward if he throws a fireball
"I will not fight on PSN. I will not bout on XBL. I'm in the country, don't you see? No SF online for me."
Image

User avatar
Saraphan80
Posts: 2711
Joined: Fri May 29, 2009 8:31 am
Xbox Gamertag: Saraphan80
Location: Wisconsin, USA

Re: My attempt at a matchup guide.

Postby Saraphan80 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:54 pm

seanomega wrote:I'm pulling a saraphan here.

Ryu vs. E. Honda

If you are E. Honda you shouldn't dash toward if he throws a fireball


:lol: Look how famous I am!
ImageImage......Image

User avatar
donkeyboy
Posts: 347
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 6:41 am
PSN Gamertag: donkeyboy39
Location: YORK, U.K.

Re: My attempt at a matchup guide.

Postby donkeyboy » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:57 am

Zombiebrian wrote:This is what I do vs each character in the game. This will take some time to do but if you like the Idea of doing it for your character feel free if catalyst likes anything he might take it for the guides it could help him.

Abel - Abel is my second main so I have some idea where his streanths and weaknesses are. Try not to throw to many Kikoukens out there he can go over with ex wheel kick under with his roll and through with an ex turn of direction not to mention his ultra bibasses the whole affair. Most of Abels combos start off close so try to keep him at sweep distance. He has a good cross up in his :kick-medium: which leads into his :kick-medium: into change of direction or his :joystick-down: :punch-hard: into ultra so you'll want to be sharp with your cross up defense. chuns :joystick-up: :kick-hard: (natural jump) can be very usefull in this match as it can keep abel at a distance and beats lots of his attacks. His roll which people are using alot online isnt as safe as it would seem he can be thrown out of it or the :joystick-up: :kick-hard: beats the crap out of it. Try not to jump in as his :joystick-down: :kick-medium: is a decent anti air.

Akuma - Patience is required to go over under duck his fireballs but Akuma is well known to have a soft underbelly once you do get in. try to go over his air-fire balls when in midrange and attack with your best hp-hp combo. Remember the hasanshu is good for those pesky redfireballs but dont abuse it or you will eat demons unless you fadc it even then you'll be lucky to outrun the demon. If he is doing airfireballs in a corner its a good way of ultra-ing him. If they knock you down and look like throwing out a red fb to win the match (happens often) have your ultra ready. His demon flip kick cant be ex sbk'ed nor any other anti ait but try fa dc :joystick-left: then :punch-hard: or :kick-hard: his jumping hard kick can be anti-aired with a walking back hp.

Balrog - Good match for chun this, alot of rogs are overreliant on the jab and the crouch keep as much distance between you and him and be ready with a :joystick-up: :kick-hard: for the odd dash punch or ex Kikouken. when you have a knockdown you can abuse chuns auto cross up as rog doesn't have much of a deference for it dont be slow with it though your one headbut away from an ultra. also cross ups work well against him. Most rogs like to crouch and hold a charge so the odd hasanshu can cause damage cross him up well and often he seems weak against it. do not try to go toe to toe with him his jabs into ultra isnt hard. Try not to zone with Kikouken as the turn punch goes around and the ultra can go through.

Blanka - More than most Blanka is a learned match lots of his moves that seem safe arent his balls can be jabbed out with lp which you can combo into :kick-light: :kick-light: ex lightning legs or throw sometimes as they might be caught out by the jab giving you time to throw them. Dont try to Fireball him he'll only ex ball or slide under. FA is a good way of beating his slide. Dont cross him up on wake up or try and jump in he'll only use the electricity on you. if hes gonna use it or is jab him out of it he'll soon give that up. Remember you can also ultra him if hes spamming elect or just fireball him. He is a charge char so if you quick hasanshu can be effective. This is a dull match to play, having to be ultra defensive but if you go in over aggressive they will can and shall get the better of you. Beware of being to close to a charging blanka his ultra turnes into a command throw if to close be very aware in the corner get out of it asap if he does ultra you and you far enough away jump towards him you'll go over if you try a neutral jump he can delay the ball. His balls can be punished by ultra on block if timed right you can even get he full ultra in on it.Cammy - Good match this and similar to blanka you need to play quite defensive with lots of jab punishes but be aware not to over do it with the jabs as her cannon strike will follow (which if you block can also be punished) punish he hoolagian with a crouching jab. If you have an ultra her Cannon strike can be punished with it or a :joystick-down: :kick-hard: If she gets jump happy choose chuns air throw or a :joystick-up: :kick-hard:

Chun Li - Mirror matches she had all your weaknesses to exploit them her anti air sucks to jumpins beware of charged ex sbk and abuse hasanshu. This is where a good :joystick-up-right: :punch-hard: :punch-hard: into a good combo will serve you well. Auto cross up beats EX SBK as does the occasional regular cross up.

Crimson Viper - Crimson is an ok fight for Chun :joystick-up: :kick-hard: causes her problems especially with her burning kick beware abusing it though as her hp thunder knuckle can hit you twice and will. stay grounded if she has a super as jump ins can lead to it. Vipers (ive played) tend to spend all day trying to get specials to hit so jab em and be ready for the burning kick :joystick-down: :kick-light: into ex legs works a treat and her burning can be delt with by either blocking punish or ex sbk. Her FA has some good range be aware. vipers tend to be very attack minded so adopting a counter attacking style will help.

Dan - Dont underestimate him he isnt as bad as they all make out. Ignore his taunts and play a clever game try keeping out of sweep range and :joystick-up: :kick-hard: unless he has an ultra in which case jabs are the way to go be wary of jumping in on him as his srk can hurt his lk Dankukyaku can knock you out many moves cross you up and change his landing zone. While the ex version knocks the crap out of you. His FA has good range so be carefull although you should win this match with a good offence and good air defence try to block more than anti air him.

Dahlsim - Get on top stay on top he wont let you in easily. a good trick is to wait on a fireball being thrown he wi'll then probobly try a teleport :joystick-up: :kick-hard: hurts em if you can predict it. his throw comes out quick and puts distance between you so be careful not to stand to close when on top. His limbs can be hit by your fireball be wary of holding a down charge as this is hit commonly with his air stretchy arms. Stand tall when he's in the air and be prepared to counterblock if he teleports. Do not rely on her ex sbk in this match. Apply pressure with her hasanshu and :joystick-up: :kick-hard:, and her pokes. mp into hasanshu works well. get him near a corner try and combo into an ultra.

E.Honda - fought 2 of em total about 50% win rate rare match this but in the sparring sessions with Object ops I know his headbuts are easy dealt with at full screen but are dynamite as anti air. another charger he is susceptible to the hasanshu if he hasn't had enough time to build up a charge. im told her :joystick-up-right: :kick-medium: stuffs the headbut but ive never tried it. be wake up aware of his orochi it's real dangerous.


my god, that does sound painful! :twisted:
Super Streetfighter IV - main = Cammy
second = Akuma
SF x T= Cammy and ????

User avatar
stirfri564
Posts: 1292
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 8:10 pm
PSN Gamertag: Stirfri564

Re: My attempt at a matchup guide.

Postby stirfri564 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:42 pm

Zangeif keep him out of your space your mostly going to want to play footsies with him.

Use :kick-medium: and :joystick-down: :punch-hard: to keep him away. You can punish his lariets with Ultra and Heavy Punch. When he gets you down or in the corner ex messiah out of it.

Cammy With her I like to play a zoneing/turtle game I find her to push you out realy easy. Zone her with :joystick-down: :punch-hard: when she tries to get close by any means other then walking towards you can usually punish it and you want to usually stay back down unless she gets close to you.

Drill: Punish with throw.
Her Shrou: Punish with :joystick-down: :punch-hard:
Spinning Back Fist: Jab or :joystick-down: :punch-hard:
Hooligan Combination: If you block it throw, if he/she attempts a throw he/she wont be able to, he/she whiffs you can block or tech.

Sagat: wait till he pushed in the corner so you can use your mixups options but to keep him in you want to use your :joystick-down: :punch-hard: and if your close enough you can ex messiah thru his fireballs.
Image
Spoiler: show
SSF4: Rufus
3s: Makoto
MVC3: Wolverine/Zero/Sentinel
BB: Ragna

User avatar
KevinT747
Posts: 705
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:49 pm
Xbox Gamertag: KevinT747
PSN Gamertag: KevinT747
Wii Friend Code: 1270-8825-8134-7918
Location: Los Angeles

Rufus Matchups

Postby KevinT747 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:05 pm

I main Rufus (when I haven't used up all of my patience). Here are some of my matchup notes:

Zangief: :punch-hard: is your best friend in this matchup. Use :joystick-down: :punch-hard: towards the end of Gief's piledriver animation to knock him out of it. Use :punch-hard: to anti-air Gief's jump-ins. If he lariats at sweep distance, :joystick-down: :kick-hard: will knock him out of it. Those are your main tools at a distance. :kick-medium: is generally a good poke, but it can be hit by the lariat. Once Gief gets in and starts playing his mix-up game, you basically have two options. if you have meter, EX Messiah out of there and start the zoning process back up again. If he jumps late, use :punch-medium: or :punch-hard: Snake Strike to punish. For Giefs that like to build meter by throwing random lariats in the distance, jump in with a late :joystick-up-right: :kick-hard: and it will knock him out of it. If you are close enough, you can combo into :punch-hard: then :punch-hard: Galactic Tornado.

Blanka: The key to this match is to zone the beast into a corner where all of his rolls can be countered easily when blocked. If you find yourself far away, the best way to get in imo is to neutral jump/dive kick (punishes horizontal beast rolls), but be careful because smart Blankas will do a light roll into electricity, punishing your dive kick. If you block a beast roll from the standing position, take a quick step forward and :joystick-down: :punch-hard: to punish. I'm not sure if it's possible from the crouching position, but it's definitely harder to hit, and you may eat a second beast roll if you're not careful. Once in, beware dive kicks on wakeup. Electricity is your biggest enemy up close. If you have meter, look to :joystick-down: :punch-medium: into EX Galactic Tornado. when you anticipate the electricity. Lots of Blankas throw out the cross-up :joystick-up-right: :kick-medium: early, and if you see this, look to punish with an EX Messiah. As I see more random ultras from Blanka players than any other, try to bait it when you're pressuring, block, and punish with your own ultra.

Sagat: The three P's to this matchup are patience, patience, and cross-up dive kick. Obviously, the hardest part to this matchup is just getting inside. You will be taking chip damage this match, but it's okay if you're smart once you get it. Use Rufus' stamina advantage because it's there particularly for matchups like this. Most Sagat's will play this match defensively with a mix of high/low tiger shots and st. :kick-hard: . You have a couple of options: 1) You can just walk up and block when the shots come your way, throwing a :joystick-down: :punch-hard: to poke within range after ducking under a high TS, or 2) You can also neutral jump and dive kick forward. Sometimes Sagat players will get impatience at about mid-screen and try to bomb you with a jumping elbow, in which case you simply :joystick-down: :punch-medium: . If you can bait the opponent into throwing low TS's, you may want to think about throwing a :kick-medium: or :kick-hard: Messiah Kick his way. If you are still a distance away, make sure to hold off on the second part of the Messiah, as even one that connects on the first hit from a distance can miss on the second hit. If this happens, prepare to eat tiger fist. Once you are in, there are a couple of things that can happen. Sagat can take control of the flow of the match with :joystick-down: :kick-light: strings and tiger knees. If this is the case, pay attention to where in the string your opponent isn't quite linking perfectly. Hopefully, you have conserved your meter as this is the perfect time to use an EX Messiah. On the other hand, you may be the one applying pressure with dive kicks strings and walk up throws. Up close, you can perform a :punch-light: Snake Strike that deals 200 dmg. if all hits connect on a standing Sagat (only character where this is possible). If he blocks, it deals solid chip damage and you're safe from counter attack. If you score a knock down and they don't quick stand, look to cross-up dive kick. This throws many Sagats off, and it kills tiger uppercut on wakeup (beware of :punch-light: TU, because if you're not deep enough you will eat it). Look to bait TU's with strings like dive kick, :joystick-down: :punch-light: , :joystick-down: :punch-light: and then block. Wait for the uppercut, then unleash. Mind games are essential for suriviving this matchup.

Ryu: I generally find this to be Rufus' toughest matchup, which is exacerbated by the fact that there are so many solid Ryu players out there. This is most difficult matchup to explain because there are so many types of Ryu players and so many variables, all of which affect which decisions you make. For hadoken happy Ryu's, sit back and either absorb with Galactic Tornado or hop over with Snake Strike, all the while building your meter. Rufus is much happier with a full stomach of meter, and it makes this matchup much easier once you get up close. You can try to Galactic Tornado in from far to get past hadokens, but Ryu's will catch on quickly and :joystick-up-right: :kick-hard: you right out of it. Once they catch on, :punch-hard: Galactic Tornado, but instead of holding forward, just chill in the same position. You probably won't hit Ryu with the final punch, but now he's in your territory. Look for him to jump back right after jumping in, in which case you follow him with a :joystick-up-right: :kick-hard: and EX Snake Strike. When close, look for light dragon punches being thrown out one after another. I find the best way to punish is to sit and wait, and once he's in range :joystick-down: :kick-medium: to EX Galactic Tornado. You can try to :punch-hard: Galactic Tornado, but often times it won't hit due to the distance. On knock down without quick stand, look to cross-up dive kick and then block, as a DP is most likely heading your way. I recommend that you save at least three bars of meter in this match, because I find an EX Messiah to Ultra will catch a lot of Ryu's post dive kick. Another general strategy you can apply is to throw out the EX Messiah after a blocked Galactic Tornado.

Guile: When you are at a distance and Guile is backing up/throwing sonic booms, look to neutral jump/dive kick over or Messiah with no follow up. Sometimes you will catch with the Messiah, in which case punish/mix-up appropriately. Most Guiles do not walk forward sans SB without the intention of jump kicking or air throwing (basically, they'll be taking to the skies). Because the threat of air throw lingers against Guile, look to Snake Strike with :punch-medium: or :punch-hard: . Once you're in, start dive kicking like mad, mixing up the heights and angles of each kick. Cross-up dive kicks kill Guile and knock him out of flash kicks. If he starts to block during a dive kick string, assume a flash kick is coming, in which case stop diving and start throwing. This matchup can be difficult if you don't quite know how to get in on a turtling Guile, but once you're in it should be gravy.

More to come soon...
Image
<--Avatar by Vince-Vell ^^^Sig Art by Legacy Virus


Return to “Ultra Street Fighter 4”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests