Option Select, Auto Correct, auto block and Shortcuts.

Its all about USF4 now
Zombiebrian
Overseer Code: GOD

Option Select, Auto Correct, auto block and Shortcuts.

Postby Zombiebrian » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:30 am

Here is the question what one of the below would you get rid of and why.

Options select - by performing a certain action you can make the cpu select the best option for you. good feature or silly idea?

Move shortcuts - by now were all know by pressing df twice you can get a srk to to come out or that Gief doesnt require the full motion.?

Auto correct - Yep you do the motion one way and cpu decides to help you and does it the other way for you. From honda/bisons ultra to a srk what do you think of this.?

Autoblock - When an opponent hits a combo and you block it you can let go back so you can set up/get ready for your next move. handy for breaking loose combos but whats your thoughts?

All been discussed before but all worthwhile topics have been so lets hear it
Angry old survivor from 2009 eventhubs :evil:

Saraphan80
Xbox Gamertag: Saraphan80

Re: Option Select, Auto Correct, auto block and Shortcuts.

Postby Saraphan80 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:37 am

Zombiebrian wrote:Options select - by performing a certain action you can make the cpu select the best option for you. good feature or silly idea?

I don't understand this well enough to say one way or the other. Was this possible in past SF games?

Zombiebrian wrote:Move shortcuts - by now were all know by pressing df twice you can get a srk to to come out or that Gief doesnt require the full motion.?

Kill them. All of them.

Zombiebrian wrote:Auto correct - Yep you do the motion one way and cpu decides to help you and does it the other way for you. From honda/bisons ultra to a srk what do you think of this.?

Ridiculous.

Zombiebrian wrote:Autoblock - When an opponent hits a combo and you block it you can let go back so you can set up/get ready for your next move. handy for breaking loose combos but whats your thoughts?

Good in that it forces the aggressor to be spot on in their execution, but bad that turbo jabs/srk mashing can break nearly anything online.

I'm glad SFIV was able to pull in so many new fans, but as a long time player, most of this stuff bugs me. Of these ideas, the move shortcuts are the worst offender. They need to go.
ImageImage......Image

Zombiebrian
Overseer Code: GOD

Postby Zombiebrian » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:05 am

Zombiebrian wrote:Here is the question what one of the below would you get rid of and why.

Options select - by performing a certain action you can make the cpu select the best option for you. good feature or silly idea?

Very bad thing using the computer to make your choices never liked it.

Move shortcuts - by now were all know by pressing df twice you can get a srk to to come out or that Gief doesnt require the full motion.?

Also a very bad thing takes a fair bit of skill out of the game, and the srk motion ruins alot of things the only thing im ok with is giefs shortcut, might sound strnge but i think he needs it.

Auto correct - Yep you do the motion one way and cpu decides to help you and does it the other way for you. From honda/bisons ultra to a srk what do you think of this.?

Now see this one i have mixed views of. Charge chars like honda and bison truly need this imo cause of a lack of ways to combo into their ultra and honda's aa coming from (largley from) ex headbut makes it a must but in another way mashing df, srk is fairly unnecessary that said if they just made it so for honda's ex headbut on a cross up

:joystick-charge-left: :joystick-right: :joystick-left: :plus: :punch:
and ultra :joystick-charge-left: :joystick-left: :joystick-right: :joystick-left: :punch-3x:

It would make sense to me.

Autoblock - When an opponent hits a combo and you block it you can let go back so you can set up/get ready for your next move. handy for breaking loose combos but whats your thoughts?

Dont see the harm really if you took away the srk shortcut it would make this a whole lot less of a problem tbh i think the shortcuts are the only reason this is being talked about
Angry old survivor from 2009 eventhubs :evil:

KevinT747
Xbox Gamertag: KevinT747
PSN Gamertag: KevinT747
Wii Friend Code: 1270-8825-8134-7918

Postby KevinT747 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:39 pm

Zombie, there's one topic that I think fits in with the rest of yours that hasn't been addressed much is the reversal window. The reversal window in SFIV is gigantic compared to SF2, where players would piano key moves with the hope that it would come out. Now it's basically a guarantee every time, and with shortcuts and autoblock it's even worse. If they made the reversal window smaller, I think that the game would be drastically improved.
<--Avatar by Vince-Vell ^^^Sig Art by Legacy Virus

BlackZepellin
PSN Gamertag: Archer-Crews

Postby BlackZepellin » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:21 pm

Yeah it's all bad, except the autocorrect for the charge moves. It has to be done at a specific timing, and characters like Honda and Bison are weak to crossups as it is. The reversal window is ridiculous, and it rewards players that mash specials like SRK, and creates yet another disadvantage to SRK less characters. Option selects are ridiculous too.

air-reez
PSN Gamertag: Air-Reez

Postby air-reez » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:36 pm

I believe auto correct is fine even for Dragon punches, just because of the time it takes to perform the motion combined with the time it takes for the game to register the motion, and for the move to actually come out; Without it every character would have problems with cross ups.

Auto block I hate; I think if you're committing to a move it should be treated as such. Just allow the player to buffer the move while in blockstun.

I don't mind the throw option select just because there are ways around it, but I do think it should be a standing only thing.

AnalogDigital
Xbox Gamertag: EtherNinja

Postby AnalogDigital » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:11 pm

I'd get rid of autoblock if that was the only choice I could make. It would make playing so much better because if you are blocking you have to keep blocking instead of mashing a reversal hoping the other guy messes up his link/combo.

I would also like to get rid of Auto Correct but for some characters I believe that its legit. I just don't like Honda's auto correct headbutt and SRKs, I can't really think of any other character that gains much power from this.

Shortcuts are hell for me too but for some moves I need them. For Bison I hate shortcuts because it messes up my ultra. But for Seth I like the sonic boom/fireball shortcut and spinning pile driver shortcut(hate and love this shortcut because I need it to use the SPD but it interferes with my sonic boom sometimes) , I totally hate the SRK shortcut though.

I just wish you could choose which shortcuts you want to have enabled, that would be the ULTIMATE add on to Super SF IV for me.

Option Selects are ok for me because most people I play online don't understand how to perform them for their character. I mean crouch tech is an option select and its awesome and I feel that its a good thing to learn. Bison has an awesome option select but I don't know how to perform it since I suck at execution for plinking moves. What Bison's OS does is Slide if they dash back or teleport backwards on wakeup but if they don't then I think he does a crouching HP.... i really don't remember though.

I've yet to find any option selects for Seth but I'm still learning him and getting my execution down at the same time.
Waiting for Super Street Fighter IV patiently.
"Don't worry brotha, all who oppose us... is pringlez."

blinky77
Xbox Gamertag: BLiNKy78
PSN Gamertag: blinky77

Postby blinky77 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:57 am

Aren't there a lot of other games with auto blocking as well and not just SF4? I'm almost 90% certain BlazBlue has it.

Aznflavor
Xbox Gamertag: aaazn
PSN Gamertag: aznflavor

Postby Aznflavor » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:33 am

air-reez wrote:
I believe auto correct is fine even for Dragon punches, just because of the time it takes to perform the motion combined with the time it takes for the game to register the motion, and for the move to actually come out; Without it every character would have problems with cross ups.

that best course of action vs a cross up is a universal option: a)recognize that it's a cross up, then b)block.

but yeah, if it were up to me, i'd remove all four aspects from the game. in particular, i hate the idea of option select and auto correct. the former, in particular, because it allows the player to input two commands while the computer DECIDES which command will work best. think about how silly that is. :roll: as far as auto correct, again, similar theme, i'm not a fan of the computer 'fixing' a player's mistake. and auto block and short cuts? i'm not a fan of either, but its not nearly as bad as auto correct and option select because it's something that each player can do themselves. while it makes things easier(in most cases, anyways), at least it's not a situation where the computer decides what's best.

to summarize, im not a fan of any of the game mechanics above. that said, i'd hardly call it cheating if someone were to take advantage of those mechanics. i wouldn't even label it as cheese or whatever. in other words, those who can use those mechanics to their advantage, all the power to them. ;)

Commander-In-Chief: Sagat
General: Balrog

seanomega

Postby seanomega » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:59 pm

well i will say this without shortcuts it is very hard to do a shoryuken on an xbox controller.

i think they wanted it to be possible with all controllers.
"I will not fight on PSN. I will not bout on XBL. I'm in the country, don't you see? No SF online for me."

Return to “Ultra Street Fighter 4”