Stop trying to "show me how its done"

Its all about USF4 now
Schmitty44
Overseer Code: USF4 Guy Overseer
Xbox Gamertag: IGOTDASCHMITTS

Stop trying to "show me how its done"

Postby Schmitty44 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:53 am

I went into endless today looking for some quality sparring and training, because marshy recommended it over ranked to find quality players. I find an Abel player and he utterly trounces my Guy for about 3 or 4 games, i just dont know how to fight that character at all. Then he picks Ryu and I destroy him easily, almost got a perfect but he DP'd my safe jump setup for the chip just so it wouldn't happen. Then he picks Blanka and it was close but I believe I won like 2-1 or maybe 3-0. Then he decides to pick Guy, in a very "I'll show you how it's done" manner and I know that because he had thousands of points with his other characters and 0 with Guy. I destroy him, almost get a perfect, and then kick him out of the lobby because I'm looking to improve, not be disrespected. Then another player joins and he has a lot of PP, over 3.4k. He picks gief and for the most part destroys me, practically every round he was crushing me, and yet somehow I think I came out 3-0 against him. So he suddenly switches to Guy, who he has 490bp with. It was actually close because he was a good fundamental player overall, but I beat him with a sick super combo comeback and then kick him out of the lobby too. I know I don't play Guy conventionally, but that doesn't mean I play him wrong. I do well, even in offline tournaments and in long sets against good players. The problem is that I do not use the run stop pressure as much as I "Should" and both of those guys were trying to show me that because its practically all they did. In return I showed them why I don't do it, because it gets blown up by 3 frame light attacks, which is why I just stick to high low mixups, frame traps, and safe jumps, because then I don't have to worry about people mashing in my pressure. His run stop pressure only works when you use it in moderation or if the opponent doesn't know how it works at all. I apologize for the rant but it pisses me off that people get salty about losing to my Guy and then act like they know how to do it better.

Also I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure if I had done any run stop against the Gief he would just get free command grabs on me so there was no reason to do it against him.
USF4 mains: 1. Guy 2. Balrog
SFV main: Ryu
UMvC3: Hsien-Ko,Hulk,Sentinel/Hulk,Dormammu,Wesker
SFxT: Hwoarang, Christie

Oculus-Orbis
Trophy Code: PSN EC SSF4
Xbox Gamertag: Oculus Orbis
PSN Gamertag: Oculus-Orbis

Re: Stop trying to "show me how its done"

Postby Oculus-Orbis » Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:06 am

To be fair, unless they specifically stated they're gonna show-you-how-it's-done, you are just assuming that's their attitude.
Maybe they like the mirror and don't get to play it often.

I know sometimes when I play someone, they might pick a character that I used to play but forgot about.
And I think to myself, "Oh yeah, <insert character here>! They're kinda fun."
As well, with me being kinda ADD with character selection already, I end up choosing them cause they are fresh in my memory.
Not cause I want to show them how to do it, but just to pick a fun character and play.
Or sometimes it's entirely respectful, seeing someone do something sick and wanting to try the same thing to maybe add it to the bank. Or if they clearly have more exp, maybe wanting to see how they deal with certain things so I can learn where the holes are in my game.

In any case, I know a lot of players think they're pretty macho.
It doesn't mean that tons of them aren't nice respectful people.

But yeah if they send you a message to the effect of, "Let me show you how it's done."
Then depending on the connotations, they are either assholes or just a really helpful person.

FatMus2
Overseer Code: SFxT Heihachi & Yoshimitsu Overseer
Xbox Gamertag: Fat Mus2
PSN Gamertag: FatMus2

Postby FatMus2 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:08 am

Don't change the channel!
"it's funny how sometimes the best strategy is to play dumb" - UncleBibby, 2016.
Spoiler: show

Schmitty44

Postby Schmitty44 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:50 am

Oculus-Orbis wrote:To be fair, unless they specifically stated they're gonna show-you-how-it's-done, you are just assuming that's their attitude.

I know sometimes when I play someone, they might pick a character that I used to play but forgot about.
As well, with me being kinda ADD with character selection already, I end up choosing them cause they are fresh in my memory.
Not cause I want to show them how to do it, but just to pick a fun character and play.
Or sometimes it's entirely respectful, seeing someone do something sick and wanting to try the same thing to maybe add it to the bank. Or if they clearly have more exp, maybe wanting to see how they deal with certain things so I can learn where the holes are in my game.

But yeah if they send you a message to the effect of, "Let me show you how it's done."
Then depending on the connotations, they are either assholes or just a really helpful person.

That's fair, it is just an assumption, If there's one thing I miss about GFWL if was the ability to just quickly send a message whether you have them added as a friend or not, even if it was just to send a quick GG or ask a question

Zombiebrian
Overseer Code: GOD

Postby Zombiebrian » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:16 pm

Oculus-Orbis wrote:To be fair, unless they specifically stated they're gonna show-you-how-it's-done, you are just assuming that's their attitude.

Straight up gonna call your bs on this eyeball you are infamous for doing this. Also im with marshy on this I hate when people pull this ****
Angry old survivor from 2009 eventhubs :evil:

Oculus-Orbis
Trophy Code: PSN EC SSF4
Xbox Gamertag: Oculus Orbis
PSN Gamertag: Oculus-Orbis

Postby Oculus-Orbis » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:37 am

Zombiebrian wrote:Straight up gonna call your bs on this eyeball you are infamous for doing this.

I think you've built this idea up too much in your mind. Probably because:
I hate when people pull this ****

But just because you believe something, it doesn't make it true.

In any case, I literally just gave my reasoning for if and when I do it.
I mean...if I were doing it just to be a dick, I could understand.
But I'm not. I have tried to explain this before on more than one occasion.

I know I'm being over-defensive about it and I apologize in advance...
...but seriously.
I don't believe I(or anyone else) should be attacked on mere assumption.

For my own part, I'm merely playing to get better and try to learn as much as I can about the game.
Still, anyone who plays me enough knows I switch around characters a whole lot in general.
Maybe I just don't understand this problem, because I enjoy mirror matches(at least more than bad match-ups).
I welcome people to use whichever character they wish to. Including characters I'm using.
Likely, my perspective is lacking, because I thought it was the same for them.

Should players be asking permission to use a character beforehand or...?
Maybe we should start a thread to compile the different codes of conduct that people make up for themselves and others.

Schmitty44

Postby Schmitty44 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:08 pm

Zombiebrian wrote: Also im with marshy on this I hate when people pull this ****

Thanks for calling me Marshy

Schmitty44

Postby Schmitty44 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:14 pm

Oculus-Orbis wrote:Maybe we should start a thread to compile the different codes of conduct that people make up for themselves and others.

I think that would be interesting

xxMarshy
Overseer Code: *SFxT Overlord*
Xbox Gamertag: Nick the Smoke

Postby xxMarshy » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:33 pm

Zombiebrian wrote:Also im with marshy on this I hate when people pull this ****

Hello yes, but I think it's okay in USF4 since no one can match my Decapre skills I think you mean you agree with Schmitt. ;)
As for this whole discussion, 9 times out of 10 the other player will just be copying you just to egg you on and try to prove they are better than you in every way, that's how it goes with random online players, keyboard warriors fighting behind their computer screen to feed their ego. That other 1/10 Oculus is right it could just be them wanting to try out a character they forgot about or they want to try that matchup or whatever, I've done it myself where someone will use a sub character of mine while I'm using my main and they will do something really cool, so I switch to that character to try it out and hope they do it again so I can see it firsthand. There's no need for anyone to get hostile about this, I'm honestly surprised it's elevated to such salty levels.

Return to “Ultra Street Fighter 4”