LET'S ROCK! GG Xrd Watercooler Thread

Gearing Up For The New Game
Ninjanuity
PSN Gamertag: Iceberg381

Re: LET'S ROCK! GG Xrd Watercooler Thread

Postby Ninjanuity » Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:39 am

May's j.H is good for air-to-air and fishing for counter hits (no seriously, it's murder on aerial counterhit), not so great as a jump in or after an IAD for an opponent on the ground. For that, you wanna stick to j.S or j.2H, the latter of which is hard for many characters to beat out.

Even though May has charge motions for her dolphins, you still generally wanna stay mobile, and the best way to do that is staying in the air, since you get to keep your charges. She has the fastest jump in the game, jumps higher than most other characters, and has some pretty obnoxious air normals that people generally don't want to mess around with.

Her main meterless BnB on the ground is 2K > 2S > 2D xx H Horizontal Dolphin. Against Ky and Venom you'll have to either use S Dolphin or omit the 2S so the H Dolphin doesn't whiff.

6P and 2H are great anti-airs, but you'll have to pick a choose for the situation. 6P's better at covering things in front, while 2H is better for opponents directly above you, but has massive ending lag unless you cancel it. You can also just jump and meet them with j.H to try for a counter-hit. And since May has the largest air throw range in the game, you can just chuck them if they get too close.

I don't think 5K is throw invulnerable anymore (though 6K is), but it is still goes over certain lows, so it's useful when up close.

3K is Blanka slide, so use it like Blanka does, punishing things from further distances or going under certain moves.

5H doesn't have much range, but it's fairly quick, is +7 on block and staggers on counter hit, so it's usually pretty safe to just throw out.

6H is a mid, but when fully charged up it becomes an overhead, does massive damage and stun, and can combo right into dolphin for a knockdown (or wall stick if in the corner) or just to make it safer. I like sometimes throwing it out as a meaty when opponents are waking up and I've knocked them too far for proper dolphin oki. It's also brutal in corner wall-stick combos if you have meter to RC the dolphin.

I guess those are main tips covering normals. May's kinda changed to be more of an oki-spacing hybrid character, but she still excels at attacking from the air, hits like a truck, and gets dizzies like it's nobody's business.
SF4: Makoto
GG: Xrd- I-no, May +R- Baiken, I-no
Persona: Aigis

Keyblade
Overseer Code: Ibuki 3s Overseer
Zero UMVC3 Overseer
Julia SFXT Overseer
Xbox Gamertag: Keyblade9
PSN Gamertag: KeyBladeWeilder9

Postby Keyblade » Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:31 pm

Been training with Milla and I'll sum up as much as I can without sounding so scrubby:

First and foremost, I love this chick (she got me over the fact Jam isn't in). I feel like in order for me to get really effective and be at a decent level with her, I'll have to:

-Gain a strong neutral game (which is pretty ok atm thanks to outside mains Chun/Yosuke/etc.) and go for what I can with the limited options she got. I'll want to stay around her 5S range while dancing outside of the opponent's range.

-Mastering Oki set-ups. Messing around with her and from seeing videos, I'll be ending everything in oki set-ups and going for the constant mix-up (makes her feel like I'm playing Yosuke). Switching up between Secret Garden (still working on how to control it to my bidding) and 236H to keep the opponent down while I mix-up them up, rinse and repeat. On mix-up switching up between Tiger Knee Bad Moon/6K/Iron Savior/IAD strings/etc. I'll be spending most of my time having people in the blender.

-IAD combos (which aren't much of a problem thanks to Naoto/Yukari training) is where her damage comes. I see that her true damage shines in linking into 2H kicking off the IAD combos. I do know that these IAD combos are great ways to corner carry, but if I don't get the 50 meter then I'll be doing oki all the way to the corner. Meter will be spent on confirming from punishes (such as f.S > 5H > RC ) or abusing Chroming Rose.

-Chroming Rose: Messing around with this super, I was able to do some crazy stuff (like looping Bad Moon). This makes things like throw combos easier to do, approaching you difficult, crazy safe mix ups, and free damage to kick off combos. I think the best time to do this would be after knockdowns. TK Bad Moon loops are so fun.

There's other things I seen like burst bait combo routes, RC stuff on oki set-ups, but I'm still adjusting to the lovely assassin.
Your guy for all things J-Stars , Toonami, and Persona releated stuff.
J-Stars: Tsuna/Medaka/Oga/Naruto/Killua
SFV: Ibuki/Chun-Li
DFCI: Kirito/Yukina/Miyuki
P4U: Yosuke/Naoto/Yukari
Smash: Zero Suit Samus/Pit/Palutena/Pac-Man
Blazblue: Makoto/Litchi/Tsubaki
P4A Yosuke Guide -- My Scrubby Persona Play
Eventhub's Lady Lover and One of the Worse Players in the forum!

ChipsLight
Overseer Code: SFxT Ogre Overseer, SFxT M.Bison Overseer

Postby ChipsLight » Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:07 am

You need no help. Only thing I would say is that you should use Secret Garden (the bubble) only in the corner while 236HS anywhere on the screen.
Icon by Ztagger.
Spoiler: show

jleadership
Xbox Gamertag: GreatNoahsArc
PSN Gamertag: NoahsArk641

Postby jleadership » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:00 am

Well I have been using Chip and I feel he is better for me then Sol.

If anyone wants to play with me add me...
SFV-Alex

Keyblade
Overseer Code: Ibuki 3s Overseer
Zero UMVC3 Overseer
Julia SFXT Overseer
Xbox Gamertag: Keyblade9
PSN Gamertag: KeyBladeWeilder9

Postby Keyblade » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:20 am

ChipsLight wrote:You need no help. Only thing I would say is that you should use Secret Garden (the bubble) only in the corner while 236HS anywhere on the screen.

Alright, makes sense when you think about it.

jleadership wrote:Well I have been using Chip and I feel he is better for me then Sol.

If anyone wants to play with me add me...

I'll add ya, I definitely need to get my feet wet playing.
Your guy for all things J-Stars , Toonami, and Persona releated stuff.
J-Stars: Tsuna/Medaka/Oga/Naruto/Killua
SFV: Ibuki/Chun-Li
DFCI: Kirito/Yukina/Miyuki
P4U: Yosuke/Naoto/Yukari
Smash: Zero Suit Samus/Pit/Palutena/Pac-Man
Blazblue: Makoto/Litchi/Tsubaki
P4A Yosuke Guide -- My Scrubby Persona Play
Eventhub's Lady Lover and One of the Worse Players in the forum!

ArkticDark
PSN Gamertag: ArkticDark

Postby ArkticDark » Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:46 pm

This is the 1st Guilty Gear Game I am actually trying to learn. Somehow, I never knew about GG back in the day! I was all into, Tekken, Battle Arena, Bloady Roar and Capcom Vs games... Seems like I missed out! I bought the game but have been so busy, I haven't even opened it yet.

I like the looks of style of Slayer, Chip, Sin and Leo... But, Idk which of these are a good character to start with to fully grasp the game at a beginner level... So... who do you guys know to be the best 1st character to try and feel out!? I don't mind Sin needing to eat for that meter, is he rather simple besides that?

My style of characters nowadays are like Heihachi, Abel, Makoto, Spinal, Catwoman, X-23... just for reference.
Killer Instinct: Spinal, Orchid, Maya.
USF4: Abel, Makoto, Ibuki.
Injustice: Catwoman.
Tekken: Heihachi, Kazuya.
UMvC3: X-23/Nova/Akuma. Cap/Nova/Akuma.
SFxT: Kazuya-Heihachi.

ChipsLight
Overseer Code: SFxT Ogre Overseer, SFxT M.Bison Overseer

Postby ChipsLight » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:55 pm

Sin and Leo maybe but not the other you cited. If you need to be good with Chipp, you'll need to input commands and think at like mach 3, if you play Slayer, you'll have to play patiently and legitimately link all your ground combos to use them while fishing out for a counter hit.
If you want to start learning the game, use Sin or Sol, to familiarize yourself with the game. GGXrd might be the "easiest" version thanks to the adjusments that Arc Sys make to the mechanics of the game, it's still a game with a really high learning curve.
Icon by Ztagger.
Spoiler: show

ArkticDark
PSN Gamertag: ArkticDark

Postby ArkticDark » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:53 am

Thanks, yea Slayer seems tough to use but freakin cool. Leo and Sin are really fun though. Chip is a bit crazy.
Killer Instinct: Spinal, Orchid, Maya.
USF4: Abel, Makoto, Ibuki.
Injustice: Catwoman.
Tekken: Heihachi, Kazuya.
UMvC3: X-23/Nova/Akuma. Cap/Nova/Akuma.
SFxT: Kazuya-Heihachi.

Memanruler
Xbox Gamertag: WhitexReaperx
PSN Gamertag: Memanruler

Postby Memanruler » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:20 pm

Glad my boy Potem is still as fun to play as ever.

That said, it's still a constant uphill battle when playing him. :cry:

Oh well, Faust's freaky spacing with his normals and Sol just being a badass will help carry me to the fraud level.

Lame Is The Name Of The Game

Ninjanuity
PSN Gamertag: Iceberg381

Postby Ninjanuity » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:26 pm

Sol, Ky, and Faust, are generally pretty good characters for beginners. Sin is too to an extent as his combos are generally pretty easy to execute. Jump install is pretty much mandatory with Chipp for his combos, and Slayer will need you to focus on solid fundamentals and whiff punishing. I miss old Slayer though.
SF4: Makoto
GG: Xrd- I-no, May +R- Baiken, I-no
Persona: Aigis

Return to “Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN-”