LET'S ROCK! GG Xrd Watercooler Thread

Gearing Up For The New Game
UncleBibby
PSN Gamertag: UncleBibby

Re: LET'S ROCK! GG Xrd Watercooler Thread

Postby UncleBibby » Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:04 pm

Ninjanuity wrote:
UncleBibby wrote:I wanted to use May, as she was my favourite character in the old guilty gear games, but now she doesn't seem as fun... her command grab is way harder to do for me (it used to be a half-circle-back + kick but now it's half-circle-back forward + kick) as i've never been good at the new command they chose for it. It's a command that you almost never see in street fighter games. I keep getting her forward + kick overhead whenever i want to do the command grab...

Just do a quick 360 for Overhead Kiss. I used to do that with I-no for her old Chemical Love input as well as Potemkin's P-Buster. Doing it the "proper way" sometimes gets you the 6K or the K beach ball.

I don't like that they changed it either, as ticking into it is a bit slower. They could've just mapped it to DP+K like Sol and Zato's command grabs if they didn't want the beach ball specials to overlap inputs with it.

that's a good idea, i'll try doin 360s.

here's me playing my first online match with May:

ChipsLight
Overseer Code: SFxT Ogre Overseer, SFxT M.Bison Overseer

Postby ChipsLight » Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:06 pm

I really don't see how 632146 can be hard to do.
Icon by Ztagger.
Spoiler: show

UncleBibby

Postby UncleBibby » Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:04 pm

ChipsLight wrote:I really don't see how 632146 can be hard to do.

that's because you're used to it because you play the kind of games that have that command. I was never into any games that had that command so even when i try my hardest to do it over and over again i get it wrong most of the time... it'll probably take a lot of practice before i can actually do it consistently. Plus the input shortcuts for Guilty Gear are nowhere near as strong as they are for most USF4 characters.

Also, you probably didn't know, but saying what you said in this specific context is sort of tactless. You're basically saying my problem doesn't exist and i'm a total noob for not being able to do it. Which might be true even, but, i dunno... it's kinda mean.

I do thank you for providing the anti-air help with Slayer.

ChipsLight

Postby ChipsLight » Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:52 pm

I don't think you're a noob but it's kinda my assumption that, when a game gives you a command you never seen, you get intrigued by it and try to use it multiple time in a row. It's like the 2363214 or 2141236 in KoF, might be hard the first time but after like 30 seconds in training mode, you should already be able to throw it out constantly, then, you can work about that on combos. It just seems logical to me, that's all.
But I understand that you think some moves needs sometimes, I needed like 2 **** years to understand the bullshit that Vega/Guile U1 command was.
Icon by Ztagger.

UncleBibby

Postby UncleBibby » Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:57 pm

ChipsLight wrote:I don't think you're a noob but it's kinda my assumption that, when a game gives you a command you never seen, you get intrigued by it and try to use it multiple time in a row. It's like the 2363214 or 2141236 in KoF, might be hard the first time but after like 30 seconds in training mode, you should already be able to throw it out constantly, then, you can work about that on combos. It just seems logical to me, that's all.
But I understand that you think some moves needs sometimes, I needed like 2 **** years to understand the bullshit that Vega/Guile U1 command was.

okay... i mean... 30 seconds in training mode isn't enough to learn a move for mortals such as myself... especially with this kind of input... i've always been bad at moves that required you to let the dpad go to neutral mid-command. I'm actually not bad at 2363214 and 2141236, i can pull them off like 7 out of 10 times in CVS2... maybe because for them you never have to let go of the dpad.

EDIT:
speaking of training mode, here's some combos i recorded in training mode with May on my PS4 using the Share button.

I know that in the second video none of the final parts actually combo but the dolphin charge move seems relatively safe on block if you do the light one, and the projectile ball and the projectile dolphin do set up some offense (unsafe offense, probably)...
Last edited by UncleBibby on Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ChipsLight

Postby ChipsLight » Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:02 pm

Well, I think you're good at execution if you can get 7/10 of this move in CvS2, which is an old game and those games usually makes special harder to do (I still have problems landing and cancelling specials in that game and especially supers)
30 seconds was a bit too low but, from a genre of games that is obviously technical and asks you to learn all those technicals prowess to be AT LEAST decent to the game, it just seems logical to me that you're gonna work a bit on the new command you've just seen, see how much you can do in a row THEN starts trying to put that moves in combos. And I personally think that 632146 (and ofcourse 412364) are actually easier to do than 236236 cause you have a straight motion where you don't need to stop, unline 236236 that forces you to do the same command 2 times in a row, making you go back to neutral and then 236 again.
If you think I insulted you, then sorry then, I usually sounds like an elitist when I say something that seems logical and intuitive to me.
Icon by Ztagger.

UncleBibby

Postby UncleBibby » Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:09 pm

ChipsLight wrote:If you think I insulted you, then sorry then, I usually sounds like an elitist when I say something that seems logical and intuitive to me.

i'm sorry i became so defensive... i understand what you're saying...

I'm actually a bit better at doing May's command grab now that i've practiced it a little more... i can do it straight out of a forward dash now about 2 out of 3 times.

ChipsLight

Postby ChipsLight » Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:21 pm

The best way to use May's grab from a dash is before letting go of forward to stop the dash, use Faultless Defense for a split second, this will return your character to neutral stance really fast but will make them slide so you can can just do that next to the opponent and grab them super fast, it's usually a good mix-up so go for it when you think it will work.

For Dust Combos, you usually want the fastest move to come out between K, S, HS and even D if the character has a good j.D (exemple : Sol). I don't know May but I think that K is the fastest so keep hitting K every time the moves hit while holding up until the opponent stops spinning then just do a air combo, usually ending with Ensenga? so it can end in a knockdown and you can start your okizeme game.

Usually, comboes the dolphin after a 2D, from what I remember to Accent Core, it usually connects, does decent damage and knockdowns and corner carry. I don't know the different in Xrd but that would surprise me they changed that.

Also, don't think that May is slow because of her anchor, she's actually a character that excels in Air-to-ground situation, S and HS being really good move to jumps-in.

Here's some basic combo for you btw :

EDIT : Well, seems like the video shows that HS is the best for Dust combos then.
Icon by Ztagger.

UncleBibby

Postby UncleBibby » Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:27 pm

ChipsLight wrote:The best way to use May's grab from a dash is before letting go of forward to stop the dash, use Faultless Defense for a split second, this will return your character to neutral stance really fast but will make them slide so you can can just do that next to the opponent and grab them super fast, it's usually a good mix-up so go for it when you think it will work.

For Dust Combos, you usually want the fastest move to come out between K, S, HS and even D if the character has a good j.D (exemple : Sol). I don't know May but I think that K is the fastest so keep hitting K every time the moves hit while holding up until the opponent stops spinning then just do a air combo, usually ending with Ensenga? so it can end in a knockdown and you can start your okizeme game.

Usually, comboes the dolphin after a 2D, from what I remember to Accent Core, it usually connects, does decent damage and knockdowns and corner carry. I don't know the different in Xrd but that would surprise me they changed that.

Also, don't think that May is slow because of her anchor, she's actually a character that excels in Air-to-ground situation, S and HS being really good move to jumps-in.

Here's some basic combo for you btw :

EDIT : Well, seems like the video shows that HS is the best for Dust combos then.

Thank you for the advice and the video... i will have to watch that video a few times... that command grab into something into jump-cancel into air combo was pretty smart, i never thought of that. I always just mash out the whale super after the command grab cuz it's easy to link and does a bit of damage... but i might have to learn that jump-cancel combo instead...

ChipsLight

Postby ChipsLight » Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:29 pm

No problem. I'm mostly a Sol, Ky and Anji Player (and when I will have the chance to get the game one day, Sin) but I mostly know the basic gameplan of a character so I can help a bit.
Icon by Ztagger.

Return to “Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN-”