What can Tekken do at this point?

The King of Iron Fist Returns
UltraGojira

What can Tekken do at this point?

Postby UltraGojira » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:37 pm

Some fans are not too happy with gameplay mechanics of T7 because it borrows elements from other fighters. And some of those same fan say that they would've come up with something innovative and original. So I ask you what could they have done? What can Tekken do that hasn't been done already in other fighters?

UncleBibby
PSN Gamertag: UncleBibby

Re: What can Tekken do at this point?

Postby UncleBibby » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:05 pm

they should add a bit more groundgame fighting gameplay so it's more like real fighting like in UFC. As in, every character should have submissions, some of which can make an opponent's limb unusable for the rest of the fight.

And they should add a new feature where the velocity and direction of different attacks should be calculated by how exactly the hitbox of an attack intercepts with the opponent's hurtbox, so like, if you do a right hook at the exact moment your opponent moves to the right (as part of an attack) straight into your fist, the punch would have a more devastating or different result.

Also, the juggling mechanic should be animated as if the person being juggled is still barely standing on the ground instead of floating (without changing how the juggling works gameplay-wise) so that it looks more realistic. Otherwise, it always looks like the law of gravity is disappearing everytime someone gets hit by a launcher juggle combo. If it was more like, the launchers just stun you and you start to crumple to the ground, but each attack afterwards is knocking you up back onto your feet, that would look more like a real fight, sort of like how Boxers sometimes hit other boxers as they're falling as a cruel way to make sure they don't get up.

Acid 97

Postby Acid 97 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:55 am

UncleBibby wrote:they should add a bit more groundgame fighting gameplay so it's more like real fighting like in UFC. As in, every character should have submissions, some of which can make an opponent's limb unusable for the rest of the fight.
I have to say no to this. Depriving an opponent of a portion of their moves is a big no if you want your gameplay to stay fun. It would be incredibly hard to implement properly on top of being bad for gameplay.

UncleBibby wrote:And they should add a new feature where the velocity and direction of different attacks should be calculated by how exactly the hitbox of an attack intercepts with the opponent's hurtbox, so like, if you do a right hook at the exact moment your opponent moves to the right (as part of an attack) straight into your fist, the punch would have a more devastating or different result.
In other words, you want to add more clean hits. Why not. Tekken is also about fishing hits, so why not add more reward on some of them.

UncleBibby wrote:Also, the juggling mechanic should be animated as if the person being juggled is still barely standing on the ground instead of floating (without changing how the juggling works gameplay-wise) so that it looks more realistic. Otherwise, it always looks like the law of gravity is disappearing everytime someone gets hit by a launcher juggle combo. If it was more like, the launchers just stun you and you start to crumple to the ground, but each attack afterwards is knocking you up back onto your feet, that would look more like a real fight, sort of like how Boxers sometimes hit other boxers as they're falling as a cruel way to make sure they don't get up.
I don't think people would be content with that. Try to make an opponent that has been hit by Devil Twister (Devil Jin's SS+2) look like they're still grounded. As a matter of fact, I think any launcher should pop you into the air like they do. Tekken has always been about their juggles; this one request is like you want Tekken to borrow the "more normal" juggle gravity from other games, ironically enough.
Avatar by AEkashics. Visit @ http://akashics.moe
----
Take everything from the above post with a pinch of salt.
----
Oculus-Orbis wrote:Everyone thinks they have awesome ideas; Few actually do.
----
If you're bored, that's probably because you are a boring person.
----
I love to love and hate to hate, but love hates me and hate loves me.
----
My Mugen Characters folder
Current patch: 2.0.2: Grand Finale
Planned: hotfixes.

ChipsLight
Overseer Code: SFxT Ogre Overseer, SFxT M.Bison Overseer

Postby ChipsLight » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:16 am

Acid 97 wrote:In other words, you want to add more clean hits. Why not. Tekken is also about fishing hits, so why not add more reward on some of them.

KURAE NAA !
KURAE NAA !
KURAE NAA !
KURAE NAA !
Bandit Revolver !
Icon by Ztagger.
Spoiler: show

legendarycurry
Xbox Gamertag: legendarycurry
PSN Gamertag: vindabrew

Postby legendarycurry » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:45 am

Chip damage should be tourney standard and default seting in the game (or guard damage as they say in Tekken I believe).
Then you add a parry mechanic that can negate said chip damage if performed correctly
Turn the rage into something like T.O.P in Garou where it activates at a certain point in your health bar and you choose where before each match and have the effect of rage limited to a few seconds (preferably remove rage altogether though)
Introduce legit charge characters and characters that can be played in a more zoner/keep away style.
a comprehensive trial and challenge mode for each character
A "Build your own stage" mode, you decide if it is closed or open, what is breakable, if there are walls etc
Tekken Ball mode online
Tekken Bowl online
Co-op Tekken Force Mode
Ability to play that space shooter game that plays before Tekken 1 and 5 while waiting for ranked matches
If customization items is going to cost G and G is earned though storymode and online matches, introduce the option to bet G on matches while in spectator mode so you can earn that G faster for that custom you always wanted ;)

etc etc
I'm the Pink Remy you fight on XBL
My Japanese PSN: KenshiroOfHokuto add me for J-stars matches!!

ChipsLight
Overseer Code: SFxT Ogre Overseer, SFxT M.Bison Overseer

Postby ChipsLight » Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:15 pm

legendarycurry wrote:Introduce legit charge characters and characters that can be played in a more zoner/keep away style.

I don't really think charge characters are a good idea in a game where movement option is the most important thing for nearly everything. Unless you're talking about moves that you can charge up by holding the button.
Icon by Ztagger.
Spoiler: show

Acid 97

Postby Acid 97 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:58 pm

legendarycurry wrote:Chip damage should be tourney standard and default setting in the game (or guard damage as they say in Tekken I believe).
Then you add a parry mechanic that can negate said chip damage if performed correctly
Turn the rage into something like T.O.P in Garou where it activates at a certain point in your health bar and you choose where before each match and have the effect of rage limited to a few seconds (preferably remove rage altogether though)
Chip damage should indeed be default in my opinion. It's not 5% damage that counts too much. As for a parry, go guess how you'd do it; if it's JUST to negate chip damage...
As for the rage, making it like a TOP meter would just give it a 33% life cap to activate it... And removing it would be one less mechanic.
As for trials, i'm not sure they even comprehend everything sometimes. Most characters share some common tools.
legendarycurry wrote:Tekken Ball mode online
Tekken Bowl online
Co-op Tekken Force Mode
A "Build your own stage" mode, you decide if it is closed or open, what is breakable, if there are walls etc
Ability to play that space shooter game that plays before Tekken 1 and 5 while waiting for ranked matches
If customization items is going to cost G and G is earned though storymode and online matches, introduce the option to bet G on matches while in spectator mode so you can earn that G faster for that custom you always wanted ;)
More modes? Meh. Online Tekken Bowl? You could find a bowling game that could be a better fit. Tekken Bowl itself didn't even return, so online... Create stages? Too complicated.
legendarycurry wrote:Introduce legit charge characters and characters that can be played in a more zoner/keep away style.
No. Tekken cannot function with those stallb*tch charge characters. Plus what is it with introducing 2D mechanics in Tekken... Guessing from what you suggested, shouldn't you just play Garou and leave Tekken there?
Avatar by AEkashics. Visit @ http://akashics.moe
----
Take everything from the above post with a pinch of salt.
----
Oculus-Orbis wrote:Everyone thinks they have awesome ideas; Few actually do.
----
If you're bored, that's probably because you are a boring person.
----
I love to love and hate to hate, but love hates me and hate loves me.
----
My Mugen Characters folder
Current patch: 2.0.2: Grand Finale
Planned: hotfixes.

UncleBibby
PSN Gamertag: UncleBibby

Postby UncleBibby » Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:09 pm

legendarycurry wrote:Then you add a parry mechanic that can negate said chip damage if performed correctly
Tekken Ball mode online

Guys, Tekken already has parries. and i don't mean character-specific counter-stances. i mean, in the tekken games i've played (TEKKEN TAG TOURNAMENT 2 and TEKKEN REVOLUTION) you can tap forward right when someone does a high or mid attack to put them instantly into a crumple state. Same thing for pressing down-forward to stop lows, i think... I might be wrong about low parries being down-forward though, they might just be down...

Also, The Wii U version of Tekken Tag Tournament 2 has a level creation mode and a Tekken Ball minigame mode. I've never played it, but i certainly remember hearing about those features!!!

btw i want these features back in the next tekken game too, i just wanted to point out that they already existed... sorry if you already knew that.

As for charge characters, i don't know if that would work in Tekken, as much as i love charge characters. High level play demands constant movement pretty much so charging would be difficult to balance... might be possible though, if the charge time was only, like, half a second or something.

legendarycurry

Postby legendarycurry » Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:07 am

UncleBibby wrote:
legendarycurry wrote:Then you add a parry mechanic that can negate said chip damage if performed correctly
Tekken Ball mode online

Guys, Tekken already has parries. and i don't mean character-specific counter-stances. i mean, in the tekken games i've played (TEKKEN TAG TOURNAMENT 2 and TEKKEN REVOLUTION) you can tap forward right when someone does a high or mid attack to put them instantly into a crumple state. Same thing for pressing down-forward to stop lows, i think... I might be wrong about low parries being down-forward though, they might just be down...

Also, The Wii U version of Tekken Tag Tournament 2 has a level creation mode and a Tekken Ball minigame mode. I've never played it, but i certainly remember hearing about those features!!!

btw i want these features back in the next tekken game too, i just wanted to point out that they already existed... sorry if you already knew that.

As for charge characters, i don't know if that would work in Tekken, as much as i love charge characters. High level play demands constant movement pretty much so charging would be difficult to balance... might be possible though, if the charge time was only, like, half a second or something.

Those wii U features should be in next tekken then :)

Yes Tekken has a "Parry" system but I find it is more akin to a counter system, also the parry system I'm suggesting exist to negate chip damage :)

legendarycurry

Postby legendarycurry » Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:10 am

Acid 97 wrote:
legendarycurry wrote:Chip damage should be tourney standard and default setting in the game (or guard damage as they say in Tekken I believe).
Chip damage should indeed be default in my opinion. It's not 5% damage that counts too much. As for a parry, go guess how you'd do it; if it's JUST to negate chip damage...
As for the rage, making it like a TOP meter would just give it a 33% life cap to activate it... And removing it would be one less mechanic.
As for trials, i'm not sure they even comprehend everything sometimes. Most characters share some common tools.
legendarycurry wrote:Tekken Ball mode online
Tekken Bowl online
Co-op Tekken Force Mode
More modes? Meh. Online Tekken Bowl? You could find a bowling game that could be a better fit. Tekken Bowl itself didn't even return, so online... Create stages? Too complicated.
No. Tekken cannot function with those stallb*tch charge characters. Plus what is it with introducing 2D mechanics in Tekken... Guessing from what you suggested, shouldn't you just play Garou and leave Tekken there?

In Garou you can decide where on your life-bar you want to place T.O.P and also the actual length of the T.O.P bar. Garou is my face so I always want to see some Garou elements in games :) Also, I like charge characters : )

Return to “Tekken 7”