Ultimate Grappler Guide

Discuss any fighting game topics here
Snipe
Overseer Code: The Vanquisher
PSN Gamertag: Snipeclips

Ultimate Grappler Guide

Postby Snipe » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:51 pm

The ultimate, the tyrannical, the immovable objects. Where the heavyweights are contested in their own flow of battle. Relying on muscular strength and dynamic force, Grapplers are a defined class of close range command throwing machines. From limiting options to simple and effective mix ups, all grapplers are forces to be reckoned with, especially the lesser known characters. Be ready for a good experience everyone, and let us get this started!

I want this guide to be educational and informative to all audiences of fighting game players from novices to the experts. I truly believe grapplers are underrated and unappreciated and also hated on for quite a few reasons. One may be that no one fully realizes the potential of such characters as another player who plays with that character the most, and is knowledgeable to a certain degree. So with that, I hope to change the negative views grapplers seem to receive and challenge your ideas and thoughts on grapplers in general.

If you have played huge, slothful characters in fighting games, then you might not find this new. We all know how grapplers work nowadays, being suitable in close combat and patiently waiting for another grab. You must have seen pro players play as grapplers in any game you think of. Then you might know that their best tactic is to grab/not grab as much due to the nature of the opponent consistently being aware of how dangerous a grab can be. This means that the opposing player has to guess and react correctly or else they are done for. The point I’m shedding light upon is that grapplers are threatening the second the match starts to the very end because of the player’s utilization of the character. Just having a command grab in your arsenal is ominous enough to frighten the other player, so unless your foe is fidgety, continue to play as if you don’t have a command grab, and spring it out when they expect it at the very least. You cannot keep using the same tactics all the time thinking that it will work the minute you execute it, so as a player, you must mix it up and uphold the offensive. In many games there are grapplers with SPDs that are much more damaging than others, such as Zangief’s SPD. It is only there for the raw damage, since there are not a lot of plans to exploit the adversary’s wake up. T. Hawk’s SPD carries out the same intention and more, with his light SPD leaving the opposition in front of you for a 50/50 cross up that can, with precise timing, overcome 3 frame reversals.

There is a lot to think about when it comes to grapplers in any fighting game you decide to play. Whether it would be Street Fighter, Guilty Gear, or even Virtua Fighter, pick a character that you feel comfortable with and start with the basics, then get a good sense of that grappler. As you undergo through this experience, it helps to ask yourself questions, seeing that it may perhaps help with your decision of finding a main.

1. Am I interested in using a grappler? More specifically the one I chose?
I tend to hear a lot of people not liking or considering to use grapplers for many reasons. First is that they just do not know how to work their mindset to play a large yet slow character. And mostly cause they’re sluggish, so I can understand that. Everything that formulates the functionality of a grappler is entirely based on knowledge and skill, and you only get that kind of information needed to understand grapplers in general is by playing as one. SSF4 was one of the games I took seriously online, and after I played Adon for a while, I had decided to find another character that challenged my awareness and efficiency of a different approach in offense, which is why T. Hawk became the perfect choice for me (at the time I wasn't interested in Zangief cause he was the only grappler I seen online). As players try and zone with footsies and projectiles, patience becomes a massive factor in getting inside and hauling out just as much damage as your opponent was doing in a matter of hits, and it won’t take long before they run away towards the corner or freeze up in place for options such as tick throws. If you cannot grasp these key components that make up the advanced progression of your grappler, keep trying, as a frequent number of people usually get their ass handed even during a bad match up.

Now, if you are fascinated by grapplers and contemplating in playing as one, then congrats to you. Not only are you in command of a dynamic force in a small selection of grapplers per game, there are many styles and variations once you finally settle on who to choose. Typically it all goes down to personal taste; how the grappler looks, back story, and whatnot. But other times for winning purposes, players often prefer a character that can handle situations more smoothly and well easily reached; the greater grappler who has the better answers. But the increased usage of one character brings about a trend of a handful of characters that players allow to be "tournament viable". You have an option to mix up your methods and keep things fresh, much like how traps are positioned in place for the opponent to get caught in one. Many are exposed to top level play from pros, especially professionals themselves who spots these kinds of patterns which are usually more in the open and develops strategies to counteract their own plans of winning. This does not mean that the lesser end characters get ignored, they are more worried about both player and grappler, and how well synchronized their gameplay is.

2. How is my character utilized?
Grapplers, in general, only have one purpose in common: securing space and setting up throws. They all, to some extent play alike, but some grapplers are predicated in their diverse situations than others. These circumstances are relied on things outside of what labels a grappler. Imagine your fighter without their most prized and thunderous command grab, then try to make an effort to evaluate their other tools and value them separately before questioning the appraisement of your characters’ grab. Start off by carefully analyzing their normals, usually the speed and range, as grapplers tend to have one of the longest reaching normals in their respective games. Frame data should also be examined for the best tick throw solutions and safest options to end blockstrings with. Along with this will be the movement and specials which you should take into consideration. With all of this info, you should have an overview of how your grappler works in specific situations, so find what makes your grappler stand out amongst all other characters in the game. Through the process of learning and obtaining knowledge leads to the understanding of your experience, so go and fool around with your grappler in a couple of games and employ your findings to the test. If you come to a conclusion that this character is for you, then you’re set for a great learning experience.

Before ever embarking on your online adventure, your character is a grappler, and command grabs are their central game. You need to land grabs as often as you can for the advantage whether it’s for damage, mix ups, or simply the hard knockdown. Goh, Zangief, and Potemkin are just some of the grapplers whose grabs are mainly for damage, brining to light the limited options the opposition has. Despite that, you have to acknowledge your adversary as they won’t be open for another one of your throws. That is when the pressure kicks in for both players, one wanting successful throws and the latter trying to avoid them. As soon as any of that ensues, the rewarding lead is not dependent on health, but rather the psychological advantage that you place your opponent in. And your character, along with their command grab will be the gateway to your adversary’s insanity. Whoever is in your path will fear you, and with fear comes hesitation, hesitation furthers on to errors, and errors give you free punishes as a bonus. But not everyone would be happy if all the hardwork and mental process go to waste by a mistake you did not plan your foe in doing. In theory, it’s valuable to punish accordingly with the pressure you build than mishaps the opponent has done. And always have an answer to anything they may wake up with after a throw, it lets them know their plan to escape from you is futile.

3. Is it worth it?
Simple answer: yes. Am I going to leave it as that? No. After playing as several grapplers throughout many games, these characters evolve to become a highly complex class of their own with a very basic gameplan. They grown to be a mental challenge and possibly the most intricate playstyle in fighting game history, and here is a few reasons why. Limited within their choice of range, building pressure and chopping up space is quite problematical these days, particularly when their specials serve at least one to two functions. Compared to a fireball that is continuously active in one to all areas of the screen, this puts the opposition at ease, same goes with safe strings in 3D games, as the bigger guys have the most start up. Your execution isn’t much, but knowing and reading your foes along with their tendencies of their own character fixates the match in your favour despite any dreadful detriments in the match up itself. Also, flowcharts are nonexistent in their game, as it displays predictability, which obligates you to master a daunting yet more skillful class to overcome many odds.

As a player ameliorates, they will often find the only drawback after very long sessions, and that is too much work being forced onto. You would think to yourself if it’s ever enjoyable to continue using a grappler for this long, and it does sometimes take a toll on you. Usually it does not, but I’m speaking amongst the rest of the players who has to deal with an excessive amount of patience and gets weary from it. Because grapplers get better the more distance it closes, never let go your space in any way. The patience you feel so bored of will get you wins consistently, and will be one of the driven engines behind your persistent game and victories.

To conclude, here are some of the few key points I highlighted throughout the guide not only to shape your game, but to engage in reading more than just the bit I provided here:

• Know when to grab and not grab
• Read and react
• Know your moves

To be fair, there's a lot more info than just that unless you decide to not read its entirety.

FAQS - Coming Soon

Thank you for reading. Please leave a comment and if possible a question that I could add to my Faqs. Also, this guide could be updated the more feedback and materials I seen through comments and other resources. Would really appreciate it.

Credits: Other than myself...
Ultradavid

Snipe

Re: Ultimate Grappler Guide

Postby Snipe » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:54 pm

Extra space for match videos to review. If you like, send a video of a particular match you would like me to review, as it provides insights in a player and their character in a specific match up.

And again please feel free to comment and give feedback and questions needed for my Faqs.
|Ultimate Grappler Guide||SFxT Marduk Guide|
Spoiler: show
Little bitches get out, WE DON'T WANT NO SKINNY BITCHES!
We Want Big Booty Bitches, BIG BIG BOOTY BITCHES, OOOOOWP!!!

Shiranui
Overseer Code: Alex 3s Overseer
Xbox Gamertag: Shira702
PSN Gamertag: Robatodesu

Postby Shiranui » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:14 am

I tried something like this before! Good read sir, hope to see more from you :3
I main SFxT, I play a mean (cute) robot.

27th place at EVO2013. Calculated masher; gentleman and scrub.

FatMus2
Overseer Code: SFxT Heihachi & Yoshimitsu Overseer
Xbox Gamertag: Fat Mus2
PSN Gamertag: FatMus2

Postby FatMus2 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:27 am

This is pretty good.
Hacksaw approves
Don't change the channel!
"it's funny how sometimes the best strategy is to play dumb" - UncleBibby, 2016.

Snipe

Postby Snipe » Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:59 pm

I don't want an old guy approving this, what an insult. XD

Well thanks guys, I'm glad you like it.

Acid 97

Postby Acid 97 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:35 am

Thanks for this guide. Really.

I always think that grapplers are underestimated, and often I feel them to be weak because most don't have pertinent and safe tools to get close. Though, this guide encourages me to try out grapplers next time I get my hands on a controller.
Kudos to you.

Conclusion: Next time I play Guilty Gear, I'm trying out Potemkin, shame I can't go online. Wait now, I already sub Potemkin...

Edit: And now, taking this guide into account, I wiped the floor with Justice. (I even dodged Imperial Ray! XD)
Avatar by AEkashics. Visit @ http://akashics.moe
----
Take everything from the above post with a pinch of salt.
----
Oculus-Orbis wrote:Everyone thinks they have awesome ideas; Few actually do.
----
If you're bored, that's probably because you are a boring person.
----
I love to love and hate to hate, but love hates me and hate loves me.
----
My Mugen Characters folder
Current patch: 2.0.2: Grand Finale
Planned: hotfixes.

Gouhado345

Postby Gouhado345 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:44 pm

great guide man, t hawk player represent

Snipe

Postby Snipe » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:08 pm

Thanks both of ya. And Maou with GG on PSN soon, you know how Potemkin and Chipp will roll XD.

And please if anyone has any questions to help build my Faqs, I appreciate it since I can't make up my own faqs well. I need questions from everyone to help get around this struggle.

sarif2soon
PSN Gamertag: sarif2soon

Postby sarif2soon » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:14 pm

nice work.
congrats for the front page :)
Sudoku Solving Guide
Yatagarasu Move List
"As fast as the wind,
as quiet as the forest..."
"As daring as the fire,
and immovable as the mountain."