New to Virtua Fighter? Start Here!

|Virtua Kazama|
Overseer Code: DOA5U, VF5fs Overlord
Xbox Gamertag: Virtua Kazama
PSN Gamertag: VirtuaKazama

New to Virtua Fighter? Start Here!

Postby |Virtua Kazama| » Sun May 06, 2012 9:24 am

Hello, I am Virtua Kazama and I'll help you get a better understanding on how to play Virtua Fighter. In this thread, I will talk about the mechanics in the game, as well as answering questions about the game and it's characters.

|Virtua Kazama|

Re: New to Virtua Fighter? Start Here!

Postby |Virtua Kazama| » Sun May 06, 2012 9:24 am

System Mechanics

1. Controls
Virtua Fighter is played with only 3 Buttons: Punch, Kick, and Guard, shown like this:
During Virtua Fighter 3/Team Battle, there was originally an Evade button, but was replaced with the 8-Way Direction since Virtua Fighter 4 on which I'm about to explain right now.

2. Joystick
Just like Tekken, Soulcalibur, and Dead or Alive, Virtua Fighter is also played using all 8 Directions on the joystick, including the neutral. Same for when holding stick.
:joystick-up-left: :joystick-up: :joystick-up-right:
:joystick-left: :plus: :joystick-right:
:joystick-down-left: :joystick-down: :joystick-down-right:

When written in text, it goes like this:

7 8 9
4 5 6
1 2 3

3. Buttons
Virtua Fighter uses 3 buttons for command input. These buttons are:

:button-g: - Guard
:punch: - Punch
:kick: - Kick

:button-g: Guard Button. Use this to guard, cancelling strings, attacks, and dashes.

Hold the :button-g: button to guard. You can't move while guarding, but you can freely stand or crouch while guarding. Standing guard blocks high and mid attacks but not low attacks. Crouching guard blocks low attacks and causes high attacks to whiff, but it won't protect you from mid attacks. Guarding doesn't have a start-up or recovery time.

There are 4 different types of guard cancelling: One involve Strings, one involves Attacks, one involves Stances, and one involves Dashes.

To do a Guard Cancelling String, you need to hit :button-g: to cancel your strings. For example, while inputting El Blaze's :joystick-down-right: :punch: :plus: :kick: :punch: :kick: , Perform only the first two moves of the command and either wait until the string window expires or you can press :button-g: after the second hit. So, you are just inputting :joystick-down-right: :punch: :plus: :kick: :punch: :button-g: :kick:, meaning you just wasted no time between the second attack expiring and the third attack commencing.

To do a Guard Cancellng Attack, press the :button-g: before you attack. For example, Jacky's standing kick can be cancelled by pressing :kick: :button-g:, showing that he started to kick, but then retracting his leg before the kick actually happens. Great for psyching out opponents.

To do a Guard Cancelling Dash, press the :button-g: to cancel during a standing forward dash . However you cannot cancel a standing back dash. Also works for running.

To Guard Cancelling a Stance, just press :button-g:. That's all.

:punch: - Punch. Used for elbows, uppercuts, and various single/double-sided arm attacks.

:kick: - Kick. Used for a variety of kick moves such as side kicks, low kicks, and kick flips.

:punch: :plus: :button-g: - Throws. All standing throws and throw escapes are done by pressing :punch: :plus: :button-g:. Use different directions to perform different throws and escapes. Pressing standard :punch: :plus: :button-g: will give you a standard throw, but inputting a command like for example :joystick-down-right: :joystick-down-right: :punch: :plus: :button-g: will deal more damage.

To escape a throw, just press the last input of the throw command. For example, to escape Wolf's Giant Swing :joystick-left: :joystick-down-left: :joystick-down: :joystick-down-right: :joystick-right: :punch: :plus: :button-g:, just input :joystick-right: :punch: :plus: :button-g: .

:punch: :plus: :kick: - Used for a powerful punches, body attacks, reversals, some stances, and Defensive Move Attacks. Characters can use it as a powerful punch, such as Jacky's Beat Knuckle :punch: :plus: :kick:.

Some characters like Pai and Aoi can use :punch: :plus: :kick: and any direction as reversals. For example, Pai's :joystick-left: :punch: :plus: :kick: can be used to reverse medium kicks and punches.

To perform a Defensive move, tap :joystick-down: and then :punch: :plus: :kick: to use your character's DM move. Also called a dodge move. Some characters like Wolf and Vanessa have throws as their DM.

Some characters use :punch: :plus: :kick: to enter a stance. For example, Shun's :joystick-up: :punch: :plus: :kick: goes into his headstand stance.

:kick: :plus: :button-g: - Used for all powerful kick attacks. I love this because some characters make a jet sound effect.

:punch: :plus: :kick: :plus: :button-g: - Used for Low throws, low throw escapes, Offensive moves, and stances. Low throws are performed on crouching opponents. So it is any direction and :punch: :plus: :kick: :plus: :button-g: to perform a low throw.

To do a offensive move, tap :joystick-down: once and then press :punch: :plus: :kick: :plus: :button-g: as a sidestep. To add in attack, press either :punch: or :kick: after the sidestep. I recommend using this for great defense.

When you are knocked down from an attack, you can recover by pressing :punch: :plus: :kick: :plus: :button-g: as soon as you hit the ground. Also called an Ukemi in Japanese. To recover from the side, tap :joystick-up: or :joystick-down: and :punch: :plus: :kick: :plus: :button-g: to recover from the side. This is a side roll.

Pressing :punch: :plus: :kick: :plus: :button-g: will get a character into his stance. Some characters like Kage and Lau can attack into their stances.

If you want to know more, please visit Virtua Fighter System Mechanics Part I and Virtua Fighter System Mechanic Part II.

|Virtua Kazama|

Postby |Virtua Kazama| » Sun May 06, 2012 9:25 am

Frequently Asked Questions

1. What is so special about Virtua Fighter?

Virtua Fighter was the very first 3D Fighter in the fighting game genre. Since 1993, Virtua Fighter is known to be a more technical 3D fighter in terms of 3-Button system that they used. The characters have their own fighting styles, although a lot of moves were shared from other games. It was also the first fighting game to feature ring-outs. As each sequel has been made, Virtua Fighter's gameplay becomes more realistic as it gets.

2. How big is the Virtua Fighter Community, compared to other games?

It's widely big in Japan, but small outside of Japan. The reason why it's small isn't because of marketing, lack of advertising, or the fact that games like Tekken and Soulcalibur are more luckier than VF. Thanks to a random forum topic that I found on VFDC, the main reasons are because:

1) VF fails the buttonmashability test

2) the majority of the fighting community simply don't find it
as enticing (for several reasons) as the other fighting
games.

3) VF is too hard to get intermediate to advanced skills in

4) VF has fewer features by far that most fighting games
no team play, no story mode, no survival modes, etc.

5) Since less ppl play it less ppl want to play it. i.e.
It has a small community, I rather go where the action
is.

Sure Sega could do better advertising and marketing, we could'of had better placement and availability. But none of that would change VF.

VF is both the good news and the bad news. The good news is that VF is potentially the deepest and most balanced fighter on the market. The bad news is that VF is potentially the deepest and most balanced fighter on the market. VF is its own worst enemy.

The stuff on difficulty will be answered on the next question.

3. How hard is Virtua Fighter, compared to other games?

This forum topic I found on the VFDC website explains it all.

But in my opinion, Virtua Fighter requires hard work and dedication if you want it to be easier for you. The game has strict timing when it comes to performing moves and reversing attacks. The move list can tell you precise things, like for example, Wolf's Toe Kick Stunner (Stone Cold Stunner) is perform by pressing :joystick-left: :kick: :plus: :button-g: , then :punch: :plus: :button-g: on hit. Thankfully, the same training mode that was present on VF4: Evolution is back on Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown. These training modes will help shape you into a more smart player.

4. What kind of gimmicks does this game have?

I'm gonna say this in the form of enlarged Caps-Lock:

NONE

That's right, this game uses no gimmicks, no comeback mechanics, no fireballs, no flashy effects, and no glitches. All you need is good yomi and exposing your opponent's mistakes and bad habits that he/she does.

5. Why is Dural banned in Tournaments?

2 simple letters: OP. She is so overpowered. If you played any of the Bonus Stages on any Virtua Fighter game, you will understand why she's hard to deal with.

6. Are there any videos of high-level Virtua Fighter tournament play?

Oh yes, there are lots of it coming from Japan. I'll post some up on the site when I get a chance.

7. What is the Stun Palm of Doom?

This is the Stun Palm of Doom.
Akira had this move since Virtua Fighter 2. It is considered the most hardest move to pull off ever in Virtua Fighter history. I swear, you would have to practice hard on mastering that move. Deals a good amount of damage though. If you want to main Akira, I would suggest you start off with his simple moves until you really feel ready to master the SPoD. Also, I would recommend doing it on a Arcade Stick. Trust me.

The command for SPoD is :punch: :plus: :kick: :plus: :button-g: , :joystick-left: :joystick-down-right: :punch: :plus: :button-g: on hit, and finish with :joystick-left: or :joystick-right: :punch:

8. Are there any other SEGA AM2 Fighters like Virtua Fighter?

Fighting Vipers, Fighting Vipers 2, Last Bronx, Sonic The Fighters (Sonic Championship in U.S.), and Fighters Megamix. All fighters had a similar 3-Button system just like VF, but the gameplay differs from VF. The first Dead or Alive game was made on Sega Model 2 arcade, even though it wasn't a SEGA game. It had the same concept as Virtua Fighter though.

9. One final question. Dead or Alive 5 featured Akira Yuki from the Virtua Fighter series. Will we see any other Virtua Fighter characters in DOA5 and will we see a possible crossover for both DOA and VF?

A. According to Tecmo Koei, they did say that more VF characters will be revealed later this year, but thanks to the files inside Ninja Gaiden 3, there was a DOA5 roster leak. The list mentioned Akira, Pai, and Sarah.

B. I don't work for either SEGA or Tecmo Koei, so who knows? What I do know is that this might give Virtua Fighter more exposure.

|Virtua Kazama|

Postby |Virtua Kazama| » Sun May 06, 2012 12:23 pm

Other Sources

Virtua Fighter Relationship - The official site for VFR. Since 1994, VFR has been holding Beat-Tribe Cups for many years. You can check out their streams on UStream, but if you wanna go back in time, check out YouTube.

Virtua Dojo - The website of the Japanese VF community.

Singles or 3 on 3 Vanessa-Off Tournament - This is a tournament for all the Vanessa players in Japan.

VFDC - The official website for the Virtua Fighter community. It has an nice environment and they are more helpful.

Ogikage - This YouTube channel feature tournament replays from Virtua Fighter 2 to Virtua Fighter 5R. If you are curious on the Japanese VF play, check it out.

SumoSumoChan - Japanese Taka player showing his skills on VF5: Final Showdown (and hopefully R, but I haven't gone through his videos yet).

Virtua Fighter 1 & 2 Tournament Battle - An oldie, but goodie from 1994. Rare Virtua Fighter tournament in the first half, and the first time in Japan where Virtua Fighter 2 was shown in tournaments. The only thing interesting about it was the actual ring that was used in the tournament.

Virtua Fighter Kids Tournament - This is rare footage of a Virtua Fighter Kids tournament that took place back in 1996 in Japan.

VF2: BunBunMaru vs. Daimon Lau - BunBunMaru and Daimou Lau are both VF legends and had a strong rivalry. BunBunMaru said "There is not one person who can beat me!", but...

Takeshimono3 - Old school VF tournament videos from VF2 to VF4.

VF5FS「格闘新世紀VI」全国決勝大会 A筐体 - Translated as A basket body of the victory of the General Assembly of VF5FS the grid Dou new century VI, this is a 6-hour Youtube video on VF5: Final Showdown tournament in SEGA of Japan offices.

Virtua Fighter Dojo Blogspot Page - Blogspot page dedicated to all things Virtua Fighter.

History of Virtua FIghter - I cover information on Virtua Fighter games from the first one to the fifth one and side-games as well such as Kids, FIghters Megamix, and Virtua Quest. UPDATE: Everything is finished. It's ok to view this section.

Virtua Fighter Storylines - Just like what I did with Tekken characters for Street Fighter x Tekken, I'll do the same thing for Virtua Fighter.
UPDATE: Chararacter Bios are now available on the link below.

Virtua Fighter Bios - Information and character biography for every Virtua Fighter character. Dural coming soon...

Zombiebrian
Overseer Code: GOD

Postby Zombiebrian » Mon May 07, 2012 3:10 am

will be watching this thread with interest
Angry old survivor from 2009 eventhubs :evil:

|Virtua Kazama|

Postby |Virtua Kazama| » Wed May 09, 2012 4:38 pm

Once I get out of finals, I'll continue to work on this.

Roll Tier
Xbox Gamertag: no box atm :(

Postby Roll Tier » Sat May 12, 2012 8:27 pm

really like what your doing here VK

look foward to more to come
Mains:
MK9: Smoke
MVC1: Wolverine, Strider, Roll
3rd strike: Chunli, Ryu
ST: Chunli, Deejay
AE: Juri

BigBadWolf
Overseer Code: Hugo 3s Overseer
Xbox Gamertag: BigBadWolf MN
PSN Gamertag: T Niggs
Wii Friend Code: Seriously?

Postby BigBadWolf » Sat May 12, 2012 8:49 pm

great stuff bro
The words "Hype", "Community", "Salty", and "Troll" have lost meaning due to overuse.

|Virtua Kazama|

Postby |Virtua Kazama| » Sat May 12, 2012 9:13 pm

Added two new links on the Other sources post.

|Virtua Kazama|

Postby |Virtua Kazama| » Mon May 14, 2012 1:15 pm

History of Virtua Fighter is officially done. Pretty interesting read if you wanna check it out.

Return to “Virtua Fighter FS Basics”