KOF XIII - Athena guide

KOF XIII - Athena guide

Postby Mikel » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:13 pm

Known for her ever-changing outfits in each KOF game, Athena returns in KOF XIII as one of the game's primary zoning characters.

Athena's play-style combines the elements of zoning, speed, and pokes into one character. Due to the speed and size of her projectile, the Psycho Ball is considered to be one of the best projectiles in the game, using it with her teleport will allow her to switch sides with/or appear in front of her opponent to throw them off. She can also reflect other projectiles towards her opponent with her Psychic Reflector but she can also continue her zoning game with Psycho Ball.

She also has a great amount of tools while airborne, Phoenix Arrow works greatly when above other opponents, using both, the weak and strong versions will confuse her opponents. Air Phoenix Bomb can also be used to hit opponents at lower altitudes, it can also be special/super-canceled into the Phoenix Arrow or the Air Shining Crystal Bit, giving her an advantage against airborne opponents.

In the corner, she also has great mix-ups with her strong Phoenix Arrow that also works as an overhead, which can even be special/super-canceled. The Super Psychic Throw will throw the opponent in the air for easy follow-up strategies.

NOTE: This guide is a work in progress and it would take me about a few days to write. Community feedback and assistance are always welcome. ^^

- Strengths -
- Great zoning, possibly the best in the game
- Very Fast
- Doesn't rely on meter as much as other characters
- Has short but damaging combos
- Has a wide variety of options when the opponent is in the corner

- Weaknesses -
- Her zoning requires good timing
- Weak when cornered

------

- Changes in the Console version -
* Phoenix Bomb (from Cancel: f.B) has a different trajectory from arcade version and hits a crouching opponent as a combo from a normal fierce.
* Weak Phoenix Arrow’s (air qcb K) recovery time has been reduced, but it also causes a shorter Hitstun on the opponent.
* EX Psycho Teleport (Ex qcf K) can be canceled with a special or super. The Arcade version only allowed drive canceling at the second half of the move, but it no longer has that limit and it’s also a normal cancel now (doesn’t cost drive meter).
- Standing CD comes out faster.
* Shining Crystal Bit (hcb x2+P) doesn’t move back on execution.
Last edited by Mikel on Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mikel

PSN Gamertag: Mikel93

Re: KOF XIII - Athena guide

Postby Mikel » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:18 pm

Reserved
Mikel

Reserved
Mikel

Reserved
Mikel

Postby Mikel » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:20 pm

Final Reserved
Mikel

Postby Krown Clown » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:27 pm

you are doing a good job but alot of this is almost word for word from the srk wiki. not trying to be a dick or anything
The King of Fighters XIII Teams; Duo lon, Mature, Iori || Duo lon, Iori (Claw), Shen Woo || Saiki, Clark, Shen Woo / Iori (Claw) || Athena, Iori, Mr. Karate ||
Street Fighter 3: 3rd Strike; Q, Oro, and Ken.
Street Fighter 4 AE 2012; Rose
Krown Clown

Xbox Gamertag: Krown Clown
PSN Gamertag: ForTheViolence

Postby Mikel » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:39 pm

Krown Clown wrote:you are doing a good job but alot of this is almost word for word from the srk wiki. not trying to be a dick or anything

Thank you, and I know you are not trying to be a dick. :)

I'm actually paraphrasing what I can gather into my own words so this guide won't be marked for plagiarism. Thanks for letting me know, though.
Mikel

Postby Krown Clown » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:46 pm

take your time, were the only people working on guide right now i think.
The King of Fighters XIII Teams; Duo lon, Mature, Iori || Duo lon, Iori (Claw), Shen Woo || Saiki, Clark, Shen Woo / Iori (Claw) || Athena, Iori, Mr. Karate ||
Street Fighter 3: 3rd Strike; Q, Oro, and Ken.
Street Fighter 4 AE 2012; Rose
Krown Clown

Xbox Gamertag: Krown Clown
PSN Gamertag: ForTheViolence

Postby Mikel » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:38 pm

Krown Clown wrote:take your time, were the only people working on guide right now i think.

Yes, you are correct. We are the only ones working on guides for KOF XIII right now. My time will be on how to sort this guide (Normal/Special move breakdown, combos, matchups, and command move breakdown).
Mikel

Postby Dustlooper » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:11 pm

I'm working on guides too. I just save them in Word.
Dustlooper

*Yang & Makoto SSF4V.2012 Overseer*

Return to Athena